The importance of going back to the office for mental health
29 abril, 2021
The worst months of the pandemic seems to be over and vaccination is making things easier. Workers, the vast majority of whom are teleworking, are returning to their regular jobs in the office. Mental health plays a very important role in all this.
Many things have changed since a year ago, and we have been adapting to each and every one of them to overcome this virus that has affected all sectors of society. Returning to work in our usual place can be difficult to face, but it can also help us to recover our wellbeing.
Relying on 630 Gran Vía Business & Meeting Center for a safe and secure space with all the facilities is the first step to have the opportunity to get back to normality. Contact us to get all the necessary information and become part of our community.
Factors that influence our mental health
It is clear that one of the most important challenges companies face is to protect their employees against infections. However, we must also take into account the mental burden of returning to work after a long period, so there are a number of factors to consider.
- There will be a feeling of insecurity in the first moments, thinking that we might catch the virus in the office. Give yourself time to assimilate that the protection is adequate.
- There will be habits and automatisms that we will have to change, because the security measures do not allow us to continue with them. Find the best way to improve your work without exposing yourself.
- The usual stress and tension will be increased by this new situation, and we will have problems with our concentration, irritability or going to sleep.
- Most of us have suffered a major loss during this time, so you may feel sad and down at more than one time. Take it for granted and allow yourself a few minutes to get back to work.
- This is a perfect time to reconnect with your colleagues and recover your fellowship. This will reduce your levels of social isolation and make you more proactive.
- We will be able to abstract ourselves from negative thoughts focused on the virus and the situation we are in, gradually leading us to a better understanding of the new social context.
- You will have a job that is dedicated to your work, and you will have the necessary equipment. You will not have the distractions of being at home and you will be able to perform your duties better.
- By having to commute to the office, you will draw a clear boundary between your personal and professional life. You will relearn how to leave your work at the end of the day and rest at home.
Taking care of yourself
- Now that you have to change your routine again, take the opportunity to include some time for yourself: meditation, mindfulness techniques, morning exercises… Anything that allows you to connect with yourself.
- Take the time to get back into the swing of things. Plan your day well and dose your efforts so that you do not end up tired after a week. Lean on others to help you achieve this.
- Pick up or take up a hobby such as reading or going for a walk, even if it is only a couple of times a week. Treat yourself and focus on being healthy.
- Get a good night’s rest and eat a balanced diet to keep you in better shape. Reduce caffeine and alcohol intake and always stay hydrated with plenty of water.
Now that you know the importance of mental health in the office, it is time to put into practice some of the tips we have given you to help you feel better every day. Do not hesitate to ask for help from a professional in difficult moments and talk to your loved ones whenever you need to.
Quizás también te interesa: